Tuesday, September 9, 2008

TMNT Hybrid movie?

Live actors and sets, CGI turtles. In an article at Splashpage at MTV.com, Peter Laird talks about the possibility of a live action/CGI hybrid film for the next TMNT movie

I can confirm that we have had several meetings with very interested people, and I think we are pretty close to making a deal. As owner of the TMNT property, I want to be the first to announce it at a time of my choosing (hopefully soon)
Now I really liked the first two live action movies, the third one was crap. The CGI "TMNT" was a really awesome movie. I'm not sure how a hybrid movie would work, but it is a good idea. The turtles in "TMNT" moved just the way they should. The live action movies had actors in turtle suits, and as good as the suits were, the actors were limited to what they could physically do. This seems like a natural evolution for the next film, because you would be combining the good elements of a live action movie with the freedom that having the turtles done in CGI gives you. The trick is, it has to be believable. Sometimes you get CGI characters in a live action movie that just look bad, and therefore you just don't buy it, you can't suspend disbelief. They cannot look too cartoony. I hope they decide to go in this direction, done right it could be a really awesome action movie.

No comments: