Wednesday, September 17, 2008

7 Minutes from "The Day The Earth Stood Still" Remake

Just before the premiere of the new Fox show "Fringe", Fox TV aired 7 minutes of footage from the December 12th release of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Now I was skeptical about this movie being done from the get go, a classic film being remade with modern themes is always tricky, and usually brings less than stellar results. The original brought a message of the dangers of nuclear war, in the remake it's global warming.....ehhhhhh I don't know. Keanu Reeves is a decent enough actor, but when you mess with a classic there is always danger. I watched the 7 minute clip, and I have to say I am a bit more interested now. I have yet to see much resemblance to the original, but that doesn't mean much right now. Check out the footage for yourself and see what you think.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 7 minutes of footage at Screen Rant

Looks pretty cool, and I was going to see it anyways, but I have a bit more hope that it will be good after seeing this footage. I have read opinions on other sites about this, and most people who were not thrilled with the original trailer, are still not impressed with it. I don't know why, the extended footage is more complete than the short trailer, and seems to give a better focus on the movie. I guess we will see when the film is released on December 12th. I hope it will be good, the original is one of my favorite sci-fi films, and I hope they do it proud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. I had no idea this was being remade. I just watched it with my wife last week and surprise, here it is. I too, as you know, am weary of remakes of classics, but this seems very promising. Just as I was wondering where Borg the robot was, he made his appearance at the end of the trailer. I'm excited, and for me to say that about a remake is very rare.